Saturday, February 28, 2009

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! MY KID GOT A BAD HAIRCUT!

Today my son got dragged in for a haircut. I say dragged because he wasn't thrilled to be going. The kid likes to wear his hair long. Normally, I don't really care. It's just hair, right? Besides, his dad has long hair-- really long rock star kind of hair, minus the rock star part, so I let my son grow his out a couple of years ago and have pretty much just taken him in for trims every four months or so. The problem is, the kid hates to brush his hair, so not only does he have a mess of tangles, but he looks like he just crawled out of bed, no matter what time of day it is.

Recently, he joined a track team and had his first official practice today. I watched as his sweaty long hair clung to his face and kept getting in his eyes. After practice, I told him he needed to get a haircut... just a little one, something that wouldn't keep getting in his face.

So-- off to the very trendy barbershop I've been taking him to for awhile now. The only problem is that the guy who usually cuts his hair, the one who gets the whole shaggy surfer dude look, is no longer at the barbershop, so... we got someone new (insert gasp here!) After some quick, frenzied snipping, the cool shaggy surfer dude look wound up looking like some sort of hybrid hair... a cross between one of the Jonas Brothers & some random dude from High school Musical.

My son is devastated. It's a lot shorter than he wanted. The truth is, it's still longer than most of his friend's hair. It's more stylish than what he had before... and he can't stop crying about it. His world is over. His hair is ugly. After hours of assuring him he looks so much older... like a cool middle-schooler... I have now resorted to the lowest of lows. I promised to buy him something cool. Something really cool. Something all the other kids would think is so cool, they won't even notice his cool new look.

I had no idea what that thing should be, so I started browsing around the web, looking for something cool and I found these really cool bracelet cuffs made from recycled soda cans at Elsewares.com



The price though... is a bit steep for my current budget and since I make jewelry for a living, it's hard for me to shell out that kind of money for something that I can't help but think I could make myself.
You know, it really wasn't THAT bad of a haircut....

No comments:

Post a Comment